Return to UNC



We are thrilled that you feel ready to resume your studies at UNC. The Office of Undergraduate Retention is happy to provide support as you navigate your return. At minimum, you will need to apply for readmission, but it is not unusual to need to navigate additional processes. We recognize that this process can be stressful, and sincerely hope to ease this transition as much as possible to facilitate a successful return to UNC. We highly recommend that you to schedule a Returning Student Consultation to discuss a plan for your return with a counselor in Undergraduate Retention. Our counselors are available in person, by phone, or Skype to address your concerns.

If you are a graduate student seeking readmission, please click here for more information.

We encourage you to schedule a “Returning Student Consultation” to address any questions that you may have with a counselor in Undergraduate Retention. We are available to meet with you in person, online via Skype or Zoom web conference, or by phone.

Students who wish to return to the university and who were not enrolled during the most recent semester (fall, spring) need to submit the Return to Carolina survey through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to officially notify the University of their intent to re-enroll at UNC. 

For additional readmission related questions, contact

Campus UnitsCommon Hold TypesWhat to do?
Academic AdvisingAcademic advising hold, Additional semester holdContact Academic Advising to take appropriate action.
Steele Building
214 E. Cameron Avenue
Cashiers OfficeLate payment, prepayment, or loan repayment services holdsContact the University Cashier to settle your financial accounts.
The University Cashier’s Office
2215 SASB North
Counseling Psychological ServicesCAPS hold for psychological withdrawalStudents who have received a psychological withdrawal from Counseling and Psychological Services must receive clearance from CAPS prior to re-enrollment. This must be initiated 6-8 weeks prior to the term start.
To schedule a clearance appointment, call 919-966-3658
Student ConductHonor court, conduct sanctions, etc.Office of Student Conduct
1125 SASB North
UNC Transportation & ParkingParking finesReturn your parking permit and pay any outstanding parking citations.
Transportation & Parking
Public Safety Building
285 Manning Dr.
Undergraduate RetentionAcademic Eligibility HoldContact Undergraduate Retention at or schedule a “Returning Student Consultation” to remove hold

Degree-seeking students who are suspended must submit an Appeal for Probation in order to enroll in courses at UNC. This includes full-time coursework, part-time classroom students, and Carolina Courses online. We encourage you to schedule a “Returning Student Consultation” to address any questions that you may have regarding navigating both the appeal for probation and readmission processes with a counselor in Undergraduate Retention.

If you are unsure of your academic standing, contact the Office of Undergraduate Retention via email at

If you received a psychological withdrawal through CAPS, schedule an appointment for CAPS clearance 6-8 weeks prior to your planned return. You must be cleared by CAPS in order to access your registration. Please note: the deadline to receive CAPS clearance for Fall 2019 has passed. Students seeking CAPS clearance for Spring 2020, should call 919-966-3658 in late October to schedule a CAPS clearance appointment. CAPS clearance appointments will be available November 13th – 27th for Spring 2020 enrollment.

If you received a medical withdrawal through CHS you do not need to meet with a provider for clearance prior to your return. 

Academic Advising
Reconnect with Academic Advising to update your Academic Worksheet and determine appropriate coursework. Contact or 919-966-5116 to schedule an appointment.

Accessibility Resources and Services
If you have a disability or medical condition for which an appropriate accommodation is needed, you are encouraged to connect with Accessibility Resources and Services to learn more about the ARS self-identification process. For more information email 

Carolina Housing 
If you would like to live on campus upon your return, submit a housing application for the academic year you will need housing for. If the Housing application was cancelled when you student left, you can also contact Housing and request that the contract be reinstated.

One Card Office
Online One Card management is available at This feature will allow you to buy or change meal plan, add money to your flex account, check your One Card balance, and much more. Contact or 919-962-8024 with questions.

Onyen Services
Once you have been admitted and accepted enrollment, please retrieve your Onyen and create your password. You’ll then need your Onyen to access ConnectCarolina and to register for courses. Note: Once your account has been reactivated, be sure to log in to ConnectCarolina to address any checklist items or accounts holds.

For information related to student parking permits, parking availability, and commuter parking options see Transportation and Parking

Veterans Resources 
Do you receive Veterans Administration educational benefits? Please contact your VA School Certifying Official,


social_facebook social_twitter social_facebook social_facebook