Lookout Scholars Program
The Lookout Scholars program gives selected first-generation Carolina students the academic, emotional, and social support to help them thrive as college students and become active, engaged members of both the campus community and the world beyond.
- Thrives academically, socially, and emotionally
- Develops the attitudes, behaviors, and perspectives of successful students
- Builds a support network of peers and mentors
- Effectively engages with the campus community
Lookout Scholars will take a set of standard courses together as a cohort, and will find a very supportive staff and peer community dedicated to helping them navigate their college experience.
- Enroll in (as a cohort with guaranteed placement) EDUC 130, English 105, and Biology 101 in the fall, and will take an additional shared course in the spring
- Have a dedicated Carolina Firsts Advocate as a mentor
- Be matched with a peer coach
- Meet regularly with the Lookout Scholars Director, who will help them create a plan for meeting their academic goals
ADVANTAGES OF COMMUNITY-CENTERED LEARNING
Integrating Cohort Learning and Mentorship
Academic cohort models have been linked to higher student retention rates, better GPAs, and an increased feeling of belonging. In this program, handpicked instructors who care deeply about the success of first-year students teach all courses designated for Lookout Scholars. And with built-in peer support, Lookout Scholars quickly develop a sense of community, which greatly enhances their transition to UNC.
Deepening Student/Faculty Relationships
Our faculty also gain significant benefits from participating in the Lookout Scholars program. In addition to having the opportunity to support a dynamic and diverse group of Carolina Firsts Students, the cohort model enables faculty to experience the satisfaction of getting to know students on a deeper level.
What Defines a Lookout Scholar?
Our ideal Lookout Scholar is an incoming first-generation college student (a Carolina First) who has demonstrated financial need, typically through qualification for Covenant or Pell grants. You’ve worked hard, and now we want to help navigate your future together!
For questions and to learn more, don’t hesitate to contact Carmen Gonzalez, Lookout Scholars Program Director: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply to Become a Lookout Scholar
If you see yourself as a Lookout Scholar, we encourage you to apply for the program by May 1.