Academic Eligibility

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
To complete the Appeal for Probation form, you will need to know your current cumulative GPA, cumulative terms in residence, cumulative number of hours you have attempted, and the cumulative credit hours you have passed. You can obtain this information from Student Center in ConnectCarolina under the “Academics” tab. Click here for a full preview of the Appeal for Probation form.
Each student appeal is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. The Appeals Committee evaluates both the content of the Appeal (Letter of Appeal, Plan of Action, and Supporting Documentation) as well as the quality of the information presented. The appeal content should accurately explain the extenuating circumstances that have led to your led to your current academic standing. The guidelines that inform how we make decisions related to these extenuating circumstances include:
  • Cumulative GPA above 1.9 and/or ability to restore to Good Standing within one term.
  • Demonstrated academic improvement.
  • Completion of previous academic intervention(s)
  • Engagement with resources and support
  • Specific and realistic Plan of Action.
  • Demonstrated resolution of challenges that led to current academic standing.
  • Use of time away from the University, if appropriate.

For more information, see the full Appeal for Probation Evaluation Guide.

If you left the University in Good Standing, you will still be considered in Good Standing; however, the new Academic Eligiblity Policy will apply to you as you move forward. If you left the University as Academically Ineligible, you will need to appeal for Probation in order to re-enroll.

Consider the following terms as you seek to understand your situation:

Previous Policy Fall 2016 Policy
Probation & Automatic Probation Warning
Continued Probation Probation (by appeal only)
Probation (when returning from Ineligibility) Probation (by appeal only)
Ineligible Suspended
Ineligible-Pending No longer exists.
Both Warning and Probation appear as “Good Standing” on your official transcript because you have been approved to enroll at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Semester refers to the 15-week enrollment period in the Fall and Spring. A term is any enrollment period during the Academic Year, which not only includes Fall and Spring, but also Summer I and Summer II. We use the word “term” when discussing Academic Eligibility because the University will review students’ Academic Eligibility after every period of enrollment: Fall, Spring, Summer I, and Summer II.
Some students may improve their current standing by converting an AB or IN grade from the previous term to a passing grade. If you have a temporary grade of AB or IN, we encourage you to work with your professor for the respective course to identify a plan for completing the remaining work.
Students to whom this applies must qualify for an exam excuse issued by the Campus Health Service or by one of the deans in the Academic Advising Programs in the College of Arts & Sciences and the General College before an AB grade could be changed with a make-up final exam. To avoid cancellation of your registration, it would also be necessary for the final exam and/or completion of other coursework to be done early enough for the instructor to assess your performance and to report a grade change; however, instructors are not under any obligation to schedule an exam or to grade additional work on short notice if you have not already made such an agreement.
If a change of grade restores your eligibility after your registration is cancelled but before the term begins, you may re-register for available courses.
If you registered for classes prior to the notification of Suspension, your registration for those classes will be dropped if you do not appeal for Probation. You are required to submit an appeal by the respective deadline for that term and receive approval for Probation to remain in your courses. If you decide not to appeal, your courses will be cancelled and you will need to appeal for Probation prior to enrolling in classes for next term.
Appeals for Probation are separate from those for Course Drops/Withdrawals, Additional Semesters, Grade Appeals, and Nontraditional Readmission – these are reviewed by the Academic Advising Program. The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal for financial aid is a separate appeal process administered by the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid.

Suspended students have limited access to the following University resources:

While appeal outcomes are determined on a case-by-case basis, two of the factors the appeals committee will consider are whether you took advantage of recommended Student Success Modules and your level of engagement with available on-campus resources relevant to your situation.
If you were approved for Probation for a specific term, but chose not to enroll, you will be required to submit an additional appeal for Probation once you are ready to return to the University.
If you were not enrolled in on-campus courses during the most recent semester (fall, spring) OR you did not complete the most recent semester, you must apply for readmission in order to re-enroll at Carolina for all courses during any semester or term. This includes Carolina Courses Online as well as Summer courses.
The readmission application is a separate process from the Appeal for Probation. Students are encouraged to apply for readmission as the same time as appealing for Probation; however, note the unique deadlines for both process.
Please note that it make take up to 8-10 business days to receive the readmission decision.
If you were readmitted to the University, but did not enroll in that term, the readmission does not carry over and is forfeited. If you wish to seek readmission, you will need to submit a new readmission application. For more information on readmission procedure, click here.
Schedule an appointment to meet with your Counselor in Undergraduate Retention to explore your options and plan for moving forward.
social_facebook social_twitter social_facebook social_facebook